Bargaining Impasses

When an agency and union have negotiated over a particular subject and have reached an impasse, the Statute provides a mechanism to resolve their impasse. First, the parties must seek mediation assistance from a third party, such as the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service (FMCS) in an attempt to informally resolve the matter. After this, they may seek assistance from the Federal Service Impasses Panel. After an investigation and determination is made concerning jurisdiction, the Panel has autho