U.S. Federal Labor Relations Authority

Search form

Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service (FMCS)

When an agency and union have negotiated over a particular subject and have reached an impasse, the Federal Service Labor-Management Relations Statute provides a mechanism to resolve their impasse.  But first, the parties must seek mediation assistance from a third party, such as the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service (FMCS-Agency), in an attempt to informally resolve the matter. If mediation is unsuccessful, then the parties may jointly or separately request the assistance of the Federal Service Impasses Panel (Panel).